Oct 10, 2008

Front Range Idol

Before we left Dave got an e-mail about a singing competition held at Peterson AFB, including Shreiver, and the AF Academy. He encouraged me to audition, and I was really nervous, but got a call that I made it, with 11others! We left for Alabama, and found out we would be back for the practices and performance just in time! The theme was billboard hits and we would have a live band. I chose the song “All the Way” done by Frank Sinatra. When we got back, I went to some practices. We had a seasoned performer to help us and she wanted a twist with my song. It would start out slow, a standard ballad, and then we would switch to a swing beat to make it fun and lively. We all had one night to practice with the band, and it seemed they needed more practice on some of our songs. I was so tense and nervous. (After Kayla was born I lost my voice and it has taken awhile to get it back again. I seriously sounded like Scooby-Doo when I talked, could hardly sing!) I hadn’t done something like this since high school! It was really like a fear factor thing for me. On my turn the band didn’t have my verses right, so they had to follow me, but I went out and had fun anyways. Dave didn’t notice, he’s sweet… Everyone was really good, I didn’t end up winning, I didn’t think I would, but I enjoyed the experience and was happy I did it! They wouldn’t allow any video or cameras inside, they took pictures and videoed so they could sell them, but I should get a dvd of it soon, which will probably take me around a year to even watch, ha ha…

4 comments:

CHELZERS said...

Good blogging! Your page is so cute!
I miss hearing you sing! Good job and hope you are well!
-chelsey

Jennifer V said...

Wow, Kathy!!! Congrats on doing something adventurous. You really put yourself out there! I wish I could have been there to see you. I would have been the one on the front row cheering like a crazy person!

Anonymous said...

awesome!! wish we all could have been there!! i think it's great that you are taking on challenges. that's how we grow. good for you!!!

Porter Family said...

I want a copy of the DVD! You're amazing, friend! I'm so proud of you!