Nov 28, 2008

The ward for me while Dave has been gone

We are really starting to get to know the members in our very huge ward. On Sunday mornings we meet for choir at our choir director’s house. The choir director’s wife baby-sits, and Kayla has a lot of fun playing with her choir friends, she gets really excited when I tell her we are going to choir. I attend Gospel Principles for my calling and attend meetings and I am getting to know people in there and in Relief Society too. I really like going to the Enrichment groups and activities. For the book club we read “Christmas Jars” by Jason Wright. It was an excellent read! I totally recommend it! It made me cry, just to warn you. It definitely got me in the Christmas spirit!


We had a Supper with the Sisters night which was fun. (There is a couple here that Dave knew from Seminary Choir. The wife called and asked if I wanted to go with her to this enrichment group and her husband could baby-sit their little girls and Kayla! They are so sweet!) Last week was an enrichment on preparedness from a guy who is certified in CERT and use to be in the army. He showed us a ton of equipment to use in emergencies and pros and cons. Very informative! I’ve gone to a few playgroups too and gotten to know more moms and Kayla has made some friends, which makes me so happy as a mom!

I am a ward missionary, so that has kept me pretty busy. Last Saturday there was a single lady
baptized, and this Saturday another lady will be baptized! Pretty cool. My companion and I are supposed to teach the women who get baptized the new member discussions. We taught a new member discussion last week, and possibly two very soon. I always wanted to go on a mission, so this experience is really cool, but then I am realizing how little I know! But, I am comforted by Elder Andersen’s talk from Conference “You Know Enough”. Isn’t that so true?


I really like our ward. I have to admit, the size of this ward was very intimidating. It’s been weird “settling” here. We moved here in June, got called as ward missionaries, and then we left for 6 weeks. Then we came back and a few weeks later, Dave left for Ohio. But I am finally feeling comfortable and at home in our ward, and that I belong. The week before Dave left I silently balled in sacrament meeting. We had just gotten back from Alabama and I had met and kinda gotten to know some people, but I didn’t have someone in the ward I could really call my “friend”. Dave would be leaving and I was going to be all alone in this new ward. But my self pity soon grew to gratitude. I was grateful for the Savior, because He was my friend, my true friend, and he knew of me and knew exactly how I was feeling. And He is my true friend because of what He endured, what He suffered through the Atonement. And I wouldn’t be alone. And I haven’t felt alone either. Dave and I have been able to talk everyday. A HUGE blessing that has prevented me from going insane. Our ward has been awesome too. Before Dave left he had a temple recommend interview. He told the Bishop he would be gone. Our Bishop, without fail, whenever he sees me he asks me how I am doing and how Dave is. Even though he has so many other people to watch over, with greater needs than I have, he is mindful of us. The Bishop doesn’t really miss anyone really. He is an awesome Bishop! People have had Kayla and I over for dinner too. And lots of people have asked us each week how we are doing and when Dave gets back. Heavenly Father has blessed me I feel. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who is mindful of me and watching over us. So if you have been praying for us, THANK YOU! I have felt it!

No comments: