May 25, 2010

Never Bring a Sleeping Baby to a Pedicure

It was my friend's birthday, and we wanted to go and do something fun. Why not a pedicure? They are so relaxing and fun. We were pretty excited. My friend's husband watched our girls, but I kept Makenna. I tried to plan it so that Makenna would be sleeping. I should know better that the Laws of the Universe say if you want your baby to be sleeping during something you really really want them sleeping for, they will most always wake up. Makenna was at least asleep for a little bit there. My friend and I already had our feet in the tub, being scrubbed and worked on. Then Makenna got pretty cranky she didn't know where she was and why she was strapped in her car seat! I was kind of stuck, and so I tried to bend down and get Makenna from my chair. A lady who noticed my pathetic attempts just came over and put Makenna in my lap, bless her! And then Makenna's nose started to run, and run! (She didn't have a fever, and wasn't sick, but I think her runny nose was from teething because she got her second tooth the very next day.) Makenna seemed sick though I 'm sure. And every time I would try to wipe her nose, Makenna would scream and fuss in protest. I was definitely getting some looks from people, at least I felt like that. So I was trying to help Makenna be happy bouncing on my lap, and wiping her nose. I was really feeling uncomfortable at this point. Then I noticed Makenna felt a little wet. Oh no. Her diaper had leaked. So the first chance I got, I went to the bathroom to change her. There was no changing table, of course, so I set her down on the diaper bag. Thankfully it wasn't a "full blown" blow out. I went back to my friend and my chair. I had asked for a little painted on flower at the beginning of all this, but really didn't feel like one now with Makenna. I just wanted to be out of there. But they had me sit down and said they would be quick. As soon as it was done I went and put my feet under the nail dryers. Makenna was so fussy! And, I am so smart. (I'm being sarcastic here.) Before I left I couldn't find any sandals, so I just grabbed my slip on shoes. Worst idea EVER! This was my second professionally done pedicure, so now I know not to ever do that! My friend even tried to warn me, to not put on my shoes, and that she could ask for some disposable flip flops. I told her I thought my toenails were dry, they felt dry at least to me. Makenna was so cranky too, let's go. So we went and paid. The girl who did my pedicure came over to me and was staring at my shoes on. She told me to take off my shoes. And, lo and behold, my beautiful pedicure was ruined and smeared! I was mortified, because I had thought they were dry, and I think everyone in there got a good look as they leaned in to see my toe nail disaster, and I really just wanted to leave. So they had me go back in the chair to fix it for me, including the flower, which was nice of them, but at this point I really just wanted to run away. Makenna was not very happy. I was stuck in the chair again trying to help her be happy and wiping her runny nose. My friend took Makenna and tried to make her happy too for me. She is so sweet. And then I had to sit and sit and wait for my toe nails to dry in the dryers. Makenna was screaming! I thought maybe I could try to nurse her. I didn't know what else to do. I could feel the stares of some of the people in there. Nursing did not help, and Makenna just fought and screamed all the more! Oy. I wanted to just leave and hide under a rock. I was so embarrassed and was so anxious and worried and ready to be done! They got me some flip flops and then we were finally out of there!

Dave thought I should blog this story because he thought it was funny. It is funny...now. I got a pretty nice pedicure, but so much for a "relaxing" time. I learned some things though.

Bring good friends to pedicures. I have a really good friend who was so patient and sweet through it all and helpful. She could have totally "disowned" me as a friend right there and then, and I would've understood. And she is still my friend. =)
Never bring any kind of closed toe shoes when you get a pedicure, and if you can't find your sandals, ask for a pair of disposable ones. Never bring a sleeping baby to a pedicure. And really, you should probably just not bring any babies or kids if you want to "relax". And, well, isn't it nice we can laugh at ourselves and have stories to tell?

1 comment:

Bre said...

oh my. I'm so sorry. My baby likes to melt down at the worst of possible time too. At least you got pretty toes to show for it:)