Apr 9, 2009

Finding out

So here’s how I found out:
Since October I have had this annoying sinus infection that doesn’t want to go away. My doctor at Peterson AFB put me on antibiotics, then she tried nasal sprays, and when nothing was working had me get a CT scan. The results were sinus disease. So I was referred to a ENT (ear, nose, throat specialist). He tried some other antibiotics, nasal sprays, had allergy testing done, and finally, when nothing was working again, had me get extensive CT x-rays of my sinuses.
(I know, exciting right?)
So I went in for the finally verdict, after all these months and doctor visits, after my doctor had looked at my x-rays. He said, “Okay! We need to schedule the date when we will do surgery on your sinuses.” To which I replied, “Um…if by chance I’m pregnant, is that going to be a problem?” “Well, yeah, we’d have to wait a year, which is fine. Are you pregnant?” And then I said, “I don’t know, but I’m six days late.” To which he said, “Well you’d better find out!” Craziness.
So I ran to Wal-Mart to get a test and…..HOLY COW! I WAS pregnant! I was in total shock. I was trying not to get my hopes up just because I was late, but there was the proof! I went to our family doctor on base the next day and took a blood test and they confirmed I really was pregnant!
It’s been so hard not to tell people, (we did tell our family) but Dave and I thought it best to wait to tell everyone else.

Here’s how Dave found out:
I had taken the test and was so happy! Dave would be home soon, so I had to come up with a quick plan. I grabbed a gift bag and wrapped the test in lots of tissue paper. I decided I would tell him after Kayla went to bed. So I told Dave I had a surprise for him and whipped out the bag. Dave kept saying, “Kathy, you didn’t have to do that!” He was smiling, but kinda annoyed because my birthday was in 2 days, and he felt bad because I was getting him a present. He kept smiling and shaking his head as he was opening it. Then I told him, “Well, it’s really a combined effort, and really, it’s a gift from Heavenly Father.” He saw the test and was so happy!!!!

Here’s how Kayla found out:
We weren’t going to tell Kayla for awhile. We figured if anything happened, it would then be easier to not have to explain what happened. That it would be harder if we told her we were having a baby and then if something happened, to try and explain to her that we weren’t having a baby.
So Dave and I tried to prep her. When we’d see a baby we would ask Kayla, “Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a baby someday and you got to be a big sister?” Kayla would see me reading pregnancy books, and she quickly put it together! She asked me one day, “Mommy, do you have a baby in your tummy?” My jaw dropped. So when Dave got home we decided to tell her. She was pretty excited!

I found out I was pregnant on Feb. 9th, two days before my birthday. I have to say that finding out was the best present I’ve ever gotten for my birthday. It made it really special and I am so grateful. I’ve been thanking Heavenly Father everyday since. I found out I was pregnant with Kayla on Mother’s Day. It felts so appropriate finding out on such special days, because they truly are the most precious gifts, the best gifts I could want and receive.

1 comment:

Valeri said...

Yay, I found your blog! That is so cool that you've documented all of this. You'll be glad you did. It's amazing what you forget if you don't write it down. Congratulations again!!

(It was fun to see you again today and to get to know you better.)