Aug 5, 2009

Ward Campout + ER

Our ward had a camp out, and Dave really, really wanted to go. This is embarrassing to admit, but Dave and I haven't been camping at all since we've been married! We didn't really have the space for camping equipment anyways. Just the basics. After talking it over, we decided to go. (Especially because it would be much harder to camp with a baby, and now was better than later.) Man, I really love Dave!

We got dinner on the way up after Dave got off work. The tent was set up, we played, and hung out with everyone there. It was fun. Here is Kayla and Dave roasting marshmallows for smores.

Dave is so cute! (I love Kayla's face in this picture!)



As it got darker the Bishopric did a fireside/devotional about the pioneers, since the youth would soon be going on a trek to Martin's Cove. Afterward it was pretty late, and we decided to go to bed. Kayla eventually went to bed, but Dave and I were wide-eye awake because it was so stinking loud!!! Every voice, every sound was magnified. So, we eventually got up. If we can't beat them, then join them. We found some of our friends in a pavilion, who couldn't sleep either, and talked with them until the camp died down. I actually was comfortable sleeping for the first time in awhile. But it was cold! Thank goodness Dave was there to cuddle with.

The ER

In the morning we got dressed and the activity committee fixed breakfast. They had huge pancakes, sausage links, and fruit cocktail, it was really good. For drinks there was scalding hot chocolate and an orange drink that was way to sweet for me, no offense to the activities committee. So, I really didn't drink anything. At the pavilion we were in the sun while we ate, and then afterward Kayla wanted to go play at the playground. After standing there for a little bit I told Dave I needed to sit down. I went a little ways off and sat at some log benches, which were in the sun. Then I felt really weird. I decided to get up and tell Dave. "Hey hon, I'm going to the pavilion to sit in the shade...and I feel like I'm going to pass out." Dave's concerned response was, "And you walked all the way over here to tell me that?" But I'm glad that I did (and he was too). He helped me over to the pavilion and then ran and got a water bottle from our car. He gave me some water but despite his efforts, it was too late. He was sitting right next to me thankfully, so I just passed out on him. I blacked out and then all of a sudden there were lots of faces staring at me and someone checking my pulse. "Did I pass out?!" How embarrassing! (Dave said when I passed out my eyes were still open, so it was kinda creepy. It took him about 30 secs to bring me back, which drew the attention of the cleanup crew in the pavilion.) And then I said to Dave, "I feel nauseous", and that was all the warning I gave the gathering as I threw up the breakfast that was just made. They were all very sweet though and concerned. I don't recall anyone saying "eww".
Two brethren (one use to be an EMT and the other a survival guru) told Dave to take me to the ER. I was so out of it. Everyone was really sweet, and helpful. They ran and got our car and pulled it up close, and offered to take down our tent and drop off our stuff later to us. Dave and the Bishop gave me a blessing. I was comforted that me and the baby would be fine. Kayla got in the car and she was pretty worried. Others told me later Dave was as white as a ghost the whole time too (although he seemed calm and collected, and was very sweet and attentive). They shoved water bottles in the car and a plastic grocery bag (for just in case breakfast wanted to repay us a visit), which I later used in the waiting room of the ER. The hospital was pretty close and not busy. The doctor said it was a combination of things. I am pregnant, I had taken allergy medicine the night before -which dries you up, I was in the sun, hadn't drank enough, and the altitude. So they hooked me up with 2 bags of fluid. The baby was fine, thank goodness. She was kicking me the whole time this was going on, which was comforting. Dave took really good care of me and Kayla the rest of the day.

It was really embarrassing that this happened at a ward function and church was the next day and I got to see all the people that saw me throw up, and rumors fly. One of my friends called and said she heard I was passed out for 4 minutes. But, I am grateful too, because we got a lot of help from everyone and I appreciated their concern and service. Don't worry, this is a funny story, now. And I learned the hard way I guess that I need to drink. When I told my mom she mentioned in pregnancy fainting/lightheadedness runs in my family, and when your not pregnant too. I wish I had known that.....

3 comments:

danthomander said...

Wow - sounds like quite the event. I'm glad you got a chance to go camping - that's been one of our family's favorite activities. We love it, and it's cheap, and a healthy family activity. And you're right, it is much harder to do after the baby comes. I hope Kayla enjoyed it - I'm sure she'll have great memories from it.

I'm sorry to hear about your ER visit - but I'm glad it sounds like you are going to be just fine. I can understand why Dave would go white! YIKES!!!

I love you guys!

jmelgan said...

That's quite a story. Yikes, I would probably feel the same way. I am glad everything was okay with you and the baby. Hopefully your next camp outing won't have so much excitement.

Anna said...

You posted it!! Sweet. What an adventure... Hope there are no more ER visits in your future. And maybe we can go camping with you guys again next summer, when neither of us is pregnant! (Hopefully the babies are old enough to just be okay with it.)