Kayla's Birthday
For Kayla's birthday we had decided last year that every other year we would do a friend party, and then the next year, family parties. We aren't set in stone on that, but since last year we did a friend party, we did just a family party this year. And quite honestly, it was all I could handle. Since her birthday was on a Sunday, I wanted to do something special with her, so we went to Chuckie Cheeses on Saturday. She loves that place! On Sunday we invited Uncle Michael, Aunt Ruth, and Jacob over for pizza, cupcakes, rainbow sherbet and presents. Kayla wanted princess cupcakes. She turned 6!!!! I can't believe Kayla is 6 already! She is growing so fast!
We were able to do Skype with Dave. And it was a HUGE blessing that we even got to.
It was a tender mercy that he did. Dave said he thought he would be able to Skype with us, but as the day wore on the list of things they would be doing got longer and longer. His spirits were really down. There was a conference call for all the teams that would allow them to talk with the forces that are over in Afghanistan, were they would be going. Dave was really bummed, but his team member said that he would represent the officers and Dave could skip out. He wouldn’t have to go! I was so thankful! I know it really made Kayla’s day! And it really boosted Dave’s spirits too. It was so awesome that Dave could "be there" with us and see Kayla open her presents and to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.
Kayla giving daddy a pretend bite of cupcake. He loved it! Kayla you are so sweet!
Well, we had a couple of parties while Dave was here, (I guess that was good enough) for his birthday. He turned 30!!!! We had to have some kind of party while he was here! I had wanted to do one forever for his 30th. So, we did have some fun then. Kayla and I also sent him a package that he could open with us on Skype for his birthday while he was at training. We sang "Happy Birthday" to him and he opened his presents and cards. I was trying to figure out what to send for cake, so I sent him some Hostess Cupcakes. I sent candles too, but he ended up not finding any matches. Thank goodness for pretend.
He told me later he didn't tell anyone there at training it was his birthday. Some other guys found out though because they overheard me and Kayla singing Happy Birthday to him!
Dave eating his "birthday cake". =)
Happy 30th Birthday honey!!!!!!

Playing on Skype
Dave, maybe you'll be embarrassed by this picture, but I think its hilarious! Dave and Kayla really enjoyed "playing" on Skype. If Dave had the time, and the chance, he would get on Skype with Kayla and they would play with all the features and silly things on there. Dave has a pig's nose and Kayla has a crown on in this picture. It made Kayla so happy to do this with Dave. At one point they've also been seen as talking babies, moons, lions, dogs, cats, sharks, aliens, and a lot of other silly things! =) I am so grateful we were able to do Skype!
Kayla, Makenna, and I took mom out for lunch to Mimi's Cafe' for her birthday. We had fun! At the end of lunch Makenna made a grab for my mashed potatoes, which got all over, but was rather funny.
We celebrated my mom's birthday early, since my mom and I would be going to an event that was on her birthday. We had over Michael and Ruth and Jacob. My mom made chicken enchiladas (even though it was her birthday!) which were really yummy. Michael and Ruth brought a chocolate raspberry filled fondant covered cake! (From a Danish bakery in town.) Yum!!!!
Meeting at Air Academy Chapel with President Utchdorf Speaking
I was able to attend a meeting that was held at the Air Force Academy Chapel. President Utchdorf was to speak to all the cadets there, and family and supporters of the cadets were invited. Through my Bishop and the Stake Presidency, I was invited to go. (I guess since Dave was deploying they felt strongly I should attend.) I was so grateful. My mom was also able to go, and it was great since it was on her birthday! I was really uplifted by his message and I took feverish notes for Dave. More than anything, I felt happy I could go so I could pass along to Dave the messages President Utchdorf gave to these Cadet Officers in the Air Force.
There were so many wonderful things he spoke of and about, and even pronounced on them an apostolic blessing. He expressed appreciation for them and the service they would be giving to their country and other countries around the world. He spoke of the wonderful tasks they have, reaching out to those around the world and being with peoples of different nationalities and different languages. He told them to remember as they go out into the world that they are going there as brothers and sisters to those they meet. That wherever, whenever, religion, race, creed, we are always brothers and sisters. He spoke of his experience with war growing up, being in the Air Force in Germany, and his 30+ years experience as a pilot. He spoke of peace and the love God has for His children, and for all of them. Something that made me perk up is that he said a few times that God is with us. He does not leave us alone. It was a really good meeting.
Here are some pictures of what the outside and inside of the Chapel look like. It is beautiful! And it was packed all the way to the back. My mom and I were on the right side in the middle. I should mention I was able to go too, because Ruth and Michael babysat Makenna for me. And they said they are willing to do it again! (Even though Makenna I found out, was so cranky the whole time! =( They are soooo sweet! I am really glad I was able to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment