Feb 10, 2009

The Infamous Shirt

For Christmas Kayla got toys of course, but also some clothes. She hadn’t worn one of the shirts we had gotten her, so I helpfully suggested she could wear it to school one day. Let me preface by saying that I have been trying to teach her about modesty. For example, the Disney princesses. We love them and everything, but they aren’t modest. Kayla has really gotten this concept. I try to be an example, but apparently need to improve. When she wakes me up and pulls the covers off right away, my tummy might be showing and she’ll say, “Oh, mommy, be modest!” Or if I am bending way over to grab something deep inside the cupboards she’ll come over, reprimand me, and pull my shirt down so I’m modest. Thank you Kayla. (This is very humbling. =) )

"The Shirt"

So, saying that, I hold up the shirt. Kayla frowns. I say, “Don’t you want to wear this cute shirt today? We gave it to you for Christmas.” No reply. “Kayla, come on, please wear the shirt?” Where upon saying this she bursts into tears. What did I say?! Then she says, “But mom, it’s not modest!” Oh dear. Slightly embarrassed, because I bought her the shirt, I try to explain to her that it is modest and why and that she can wear it. She will not have it and is crying. Oh my heart was full and I was a little frustrated, but wanted to laugh and finally thought to myself, “Okay, when is this ever going to happen again?? Especially when she is a teenager! I’ll take it!!! She wins!” So, she didn’t have to wear it, and the rest of the day went happily ever after.
**Editing note: I'm not quite sure why she thought it was immodest, I'm thinking she thought it was too low or something, instead of high by her neck. Silly cute girl!

3 comments:

Jennifer V said...

That is so cute. I wonder what it is about the shirt she thinks is not modest? Hmm...

We've been trying to teach Sadie the same thing. She saw a lady wearing a tank top at the store and shouted, "SHE'S NOT MODEST!!!" Now I'm trying to explain to her how that might hurt peoples feelings. Oh, brother!

Yearsley couple said...

Man, I am the laurel advisor in our ward and I wish my girls were as amazing as your little one. That is the most inspiring story though. That means the next generation will be so strong... Well at least as long as they have wonderful mothers like you. Love ya tons Kat Yearsley

Keri said...

I bet is so rewarding to see your children learning based on what you've been teaching them. I can't wait until Alex is older. I personally think that shirt is adorable! Makes me want to have a girl!