Aug 13, 2009

My Deployment

I am deploying to Afghanistan in the late winter/early spring. I go to a "Combat Skills Training" first in the states for about 2 months and then Afghanistan for 9. So, the total time gone will be about 11 months to a year. I have a few months still so I'll get to see our baby get born in October (yay!).

I also MAY get to come home real quick for Christmas but I'm not getting my hopes up. Kathy's pretty bummed but she and I both knew what we were signing up for. It's been a few weeks now so we finally are able to accept it and come to grips with it somewhat. We told Kayla as part of a family night but I'm still not sure she really gets it. We'll see how she takes it as it comes closer. It'll be hard but it is a worthwhile cause. I'll be part of a engineering team that will oversee/manage/contract construction projects done by the locals and make sure they're doing it right. We may be rebuilding destroyed buildings/etc or working on new projects. Anyways, thankfully we have a lot of time to prepare and we'll have access to call and do webcam over there hopefully. Let me know if you have any questions. Since this is a public blog I can't give many details (like exact dates, etc.) We actually don't know the exact date yet, just the time frame.

I know that Kathy, Kayla, and our new baby will be watched over and protected and this gives me a lot of comfort. I am confident that I will be protected as well as long as it is Heavenly Father's will.

4 comments:

Casey and Lisa said...

And we were feeling bad that Casey has to be gone for 3 weeks of training next month... looks like you beat us there! You guys are amazing, I'm glad Dave will get to see the new baby for a while. Hope you are feeling well Kathy! Good luck to you guys and all that is coming your way!

Yearsley couple said...

Man, And I freak out when doug has to go for a week. We will keep your family in our prayers. heck we may even stop by to bother your girls while you are gone. HOpe all runs smoothly for you. Love ya guys tons!

Kirsten said...

Just because you knew what you were signing up for, doesn't make it any easier to think of being gone. You guys will definitely be in our prayers!

Good luck with the coming month! Can't wait to see pictures of that new baby girl! We miss you guys.

Rebecca said...

Hi, Anna's my cousin and I blog hopped over here, being nosey. And I wanted to tell you that your family will be born up on wings of angels. They will be given a strength they didn't know they had and will be blessed in amazing ways. I know because my Marine hubby deployed when our 3rd baby was 3 months old, and the Lord poured out His blessings on us. Not to say I got what I wanted, I just had more strength, ability and patience than I really have, and I was able to get through each day, despite having a terminally colicky baby. (Plus, my sweetie set it up with the base florist to have flowers delivered to me each month, and he conspired with a neighbor to drop off random cards and gifts while he was gone.)